Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Welcome to M3!

Hello, and welcome to M3!

I thought it'd be prudent to do a post introducing myself and sort of going over the stuff you'll find on this blog.

Who am I?
I'm Spencer. I live in Utah with my wife, just south of Salt Lake City. I grew up in the suburbs in Maryland, just outside Washington D.C. I moved to Utah in 2012, and I've been here thriving ever since.



What's my gaming history/knowledge?
So here's the fun part. I've been gaming, on and off, since around 1998. I got my first real taste of "adult" tabletop gaming playing the AD&D Red Box with my brother and some friends, and then after that by playing Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel. From there, thanks to my older brother, I discovered Mutant Chronicles: Warzone right before the release of 2nd edition. I painted up some models, tried the game a little before it died and got hooked on the hobby.

In high school I played Warhammer 40k, but sold my army after I graduated and moved to a place with no wargaming scene. After moving back to Maryland to pursue my degree I got back into wargaming with AT-43, and from there I got in deeper with Rackham Entertainment and worked as a promoter for the game. I also got back into Warhammer, trying Fantasy and jumping back into 40k. I also started playing Warmachine around that time. I quickly dropped both Warhammer games after realizing that I hated the rules for 40k and didn't want to play Fantasy with the local crowd. I focused on AT-43 and Warmachine for a time, dabbled in Infinity and jumped into both Firestorm Armada and Dystopian Wars when they first came out.

In 2012 I got a job at Blue Table Painting in Utah, and I packed up my life and moved out here. I worked at BTP for about two years, dropping Warmachine and Infinity while picking up Flames of War and other games alter (including the latest edition of Warzone). After leaving BTP me and a few other former staffers started the YouTube channel Geek of Spades where we did reviews and unboxings and so forth.

In early 2019 I made the decision to step back from the gaming scene as my work and personal lives took priority, and after a little more than a year I've chosen to end my hiatus (in the middle of a global pandemic, as is my idiotic timing).

Qualifications?
Besides running and creating content for Geek of Spades, I also did solo reviews on YouTube for several years. I am also a published gaming journalist, believe it or not. I have had over a dozen reviews published in a couple of magazines, covering a variety of games from the obscure (World of Twilight, Warcanto) to slightly more well known games like Kings of War and Beyond the Gates of Antares. Between writing reviews and YouTube I've probably read and reviewed over 30 different games, so trust me when I say I have some experience.

What can you expect here?
Mostly simple stuff: showing off my mediocre paint jobs, maybe doing some unboxings, small reviews, battle reports and some editorial type stuff where I just talk about things in the industry that catch my eye.

Also expect some mild swearing, I'm a grown-ass man and this ain't for kids.

What games do I play?
So after my hiatus I made a decision to try and focus down my gaming options, and I've had to make some hard choices but I've settled on a small handful of games that all offer something different:

Gruntz
Heavy Gear Blitz
Relic Blade
Battletech
This is Not a Test (TNT)
Frostgrave

There will probably be other games in there as time goes on, I'm working on getting my local gaming group interested in some historicals (Black Powder, Pike & Shotte, By Fire and Sword).

You'll also find other games around here, mostly as I try stuff with my buddy and Geek of Spades collaborator Jeremy that he's been dying to play.

So I hope you guys enjoy, and if not then no harm done.

So stay sexy, stay safe and keep rollin' them bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment